My favorite quote

"I just wanted to tell you that your kids are the ONLY reason I will have kids when I'm older..."
Helen. 7/24/09

Words to live by

If it is to be, it is up to me.

Not your average Nativity Scene

Jack has a large plastic fire truck. He came running through the kitchen with his truck and told me "Jax has people in mine truck." I was intrigued. So I fished out one of his people. It looked strangely like one of the Three Wise Men from the Nativity in the dining room. I fished out a handful of passengers and came up with a sheep, a donkey, an angel, the Blessed Virgin and the Baby Jesus. I thought "At least they are traveling in a safety vehicle..."

John and the boys put together the Christmas tree while I was at work on Saturday. He says Jack put the top on the tree and he acted like it is something he has been doing every Christmas.


The grandparents had been gone all weekend and when they came home on Sunday Jack started yelling "Poppy, there is a TREE! IT'S IN THE HOUSE. POPPY, A TREE'S IN THE HOUSE!" The boys helped Grandpa wrap a few lights around the tree. It didn't take long for them to get bored and decide to go downstairs to watch Robin Hood.


A little while later they helped Mommy put ornaments on the tree. (Wyatt was really trying to help take the ornaments off.) Putting ornaments was much more exciting than wrapping lights around the tree. We let Jack put the star on the top. We normally put an angel on top but Jack had an argument with Daddy saying we had to put a star on top. John suggested we make a star out of foil and put it near the top, thus keeping the angel. Gammy just so happens to have a big soft spot for Jack so the star won out.

Jack has insisted that Wy and I hop in bed with him the past few nights. Has anyone ever tried to get comfortable in a toddler bed? Now think about adding 2 children to that picture. The bed is just long enough for me to sit up and stretch out my legs - so I sit down and cover up, then haul Wy up into my lap. Next Jack climbs in beside me, and there is barely enough room across for the two of us. Now the boys start playing with each other, pinching and tickling, giggling and flopping around till I snap at everyone. The boys finally settle down and I manage to play some sudoku while the boys fall asleep. As uncomfortable as this all is, I have somehow managed to fall asleep both nights. I'm surprised I don't have a lump on the back of my head from the tiny headboard.

Wyatt counts to three. I'm not sure he knows he is counting and I don't think he understands the sequence but he counts "one, two, fee". He also drives his trains and makes 'driving' noises or he says "car, car, caaaaarrrrr" as they drive along. I came into the dining room this morning to find Wyatt eating grapes. There is nothing wrong with that. Then I notice he is using a comb/pick combination to stab the grapes and feed them to himself. He is still in love with books. He is currently fixated on a Sesame Street book. He points out the characters when I ask "Where is Big Bird?" Or "Where is Elmo?"

My kids won't eat Mac n cheese. Wyatt actually acts as if we are trying to do him physical harm if we put a plate of mac n cheese in front of him. He screams and claws his way away from the table. Jack simply refuses to eat it. What American children do not eat noodles?

Jack loves to read letters on store fronts. However, he has recently started to read the letters backwards. Instead of reading B*I*G*K on the K-Mart, he reads K*G*I*B. Which makes me think it is some weird Russian store. He also identifies stores by their colors. The Wal*mart is the "Blue store" because their letters are blue. The grocery is the "Green store" because their letters are green. K-Mart is actually "K-Mart" but that is because they have too many colors in their sign. And I think he calls the Dollar Store the "Brick store" even though they have a sign - so I don't know what is up with that. I will tell Jack we are going shopping and he will ask "Are we going to a Blue store?" or he will tell me "Jacks go to a green store, mommy."

OK friends, that does it for me this week. God bless you all and I may see some of you this Sunday at the Burnell family Christmas gathering! Blessings from Owenland Park!

0 comments: