My favorite quote

"I just wanted to tell you that your kids are the ONLY reason I will have kids when I'm older..."
Helen. 7/24/09

Words to live by

If it is to be, it is up to me.

Huey

Jack spent a Sunday with me at the show a few weekends ago. On our way home John said we should swing by the grocery store for a surprise. I didn't say anything to Jack other than "Daddy asked us to stop by the grocery store." Jack asked what we were getting for Daddy. I told him "You'll see when we get there." In the parking lot was this helicopter. Jack was very excited when the Vets let us climb up inside. This helicopter served time in Vietnam and the gentlemen pointed out bullet holes to us and answered Jack's questions.



When we were done looking at the helicopter we got in the car and started heading home. Jack reminded me that we still had to pick up something for Daddy. I told him that the helicopter was why we went to the grocery store. Then there was a terrible silence. I looked in the mirror and Jack was crying. I asked him what was wrong and he said "You lied to me."
Wow. When you look at it, I had led him to believe we were going to buy something for his dad and we really only went to see the Huey. I was at a loss for what to say. I apologized and told him I had taken him there because I wanted to make him happy by seeing the helicopter. He blasted me with "You took my happiness away because you lied to me." What do you say to that other than "I'm sorry."?

0 comments: