My favorite quote

"I just wanted to tell you that your kids are the ONLY reason I will have kids when I'm older..."
Helen. 7/24/09

Words to live by

If it is to be, it is up to me.

Fighting for it.

I had picked up the boys from school and we were heading home to get ready for soccer practice when Jack told me he didn't want to go to practice. He was tired of playing defense. (He doesn't always play defense. He just plays defense more than he plays other positions.) "Defense is the worst position." I asked if he had talked to Coach about playing another position. Jack said that he told Coach he wants to play goalie. I pointed out to Jack that as far as I was aware, he had only said that to Coach one time and it was during a game. Jack got pretty upset about that. I told him that we would get to practice a little early so he could talk to Coach. Jack wasn't interested in talking to Coach. We talked a bit and I finally told him that Coach couldn't know that Jack wanted to do something else unless JACK spoke up. I said "If you want it Buddy, then go fight for it." I didn't think it would amount to anything and he didn't talk to Coach but Jack worked harder than I have ever seen him work at a practice. He ran and ran. He paid attention to when he was getting too close to his teammates and he pulled back to open himself up for a pass. He tried to stay either ahead of or behind the ball to help with passing and when he could he got right in the middle of a kick-the-ball-to-get-it-out-of-the-middle-of-these-guys fest when needed. It was pretty amazing to watch. He might not have said anything, but he was out there fighting for it.

I talked to Coach and let him know Jack's feelings and that I told him that if he wanted to play a different position that he would have to talk to Coach. Coach let me know that he would make sure to mix it up a bit more for Jack but that the reason Jack was on defense was because he listens to and follows instructions.

So here is young man fighting for it the game that weekend.


and here he is getting to play goalie in the 2nd half of the game.
He didn't let in a single goal!
(I know there isn't any action here, but I get to excited to take pictures when the pressure is on down there by the goal.)

0 comments: