My favorite quote

"I just wanted to tell you that your kids are the ONLY reason I will have kids when I'm older..."
Helen. 7/24/09

Words to live by

If it is to be, it is up to me.

Yew Nork!

Before we get started I need to tell you that Wyatt is to thank for the "Yew Nork" business. Before leaving for NY we all agreed we would try to connect by phone three times a day (a bit much yes, but it was a goal.) I called after bedtime (to talk to John) around day 3 of my two week stay and Wyatt was still awake. My conversation with Wyatt turned into an hour and a half ordeal. He didn't want me to be in "Yew Nork anymore." He asked me to sing, which I did. This was a mistake. He started crying. I started cryting. Nothing I said or sang was helping anyone. I finally had to tell him I loved him but that I was getting off of the phone and he was closing his eyes. And so New York is now Yew Nork to me.

As far as my experience in NY, all I can say is it was very stressful getting there, but our hard work and hours of preparation made the install and process run like clockwork. I had a hard time sleeping in a new place, but mornings went much easier with my beloved NPR. It made me feel like I was at home and that I was heading off to a normal day. It helped me to settle down and remember that I actually stage manage things EVERY DAY and I could do this even on 42nd street!

And I decided early on that if I was not in the actual New Victory Theater, then I was going to be on an adventure. That is exactly what I did. I caught 6 shows (DO NOT TELL MY HUSBAND.) The War Horse was the most amazing piece of theater I will ever see. The Best Man was an amazing collection of actors and a very tight show. Newsies was full of fantastic dancing and the set blew my mind! Mary Poppins was unbelievable! I cried when they flew the kites, I nearly fell out of my seat when Burt danced up the side of the proscenium and then upside down across the top of it and finally down the other side. Avenue Q was great with such tight puppeting work. It is amazing how long it has been running and it is -tight-. The Book of Mormon was irreverent and funny.

I went to the Empire State Building, The High Line in Chelsea, MOMA (and cried when faced with Monet, van Gogh, Picasso, Matisse, Gaughin, Cezanne, Pollock, Chagall, Dali and my head was swimming). (I could have touched The Starry Night. I could have gone to jail afterwards, but I could have touched it.) Grand Central Station, St. Patrick's, Radio City Music Hall, went to Henry Krieger's apartment and touched his Grammy's, listened to him sing songs cut songs from the Duck show, list to him debut the song he just wrote for Glee "Big Girls Got It Goin' On", had a drink at The Duplex, dessert at Sardi's, stopped by the AEA offices, checked out Strawberry Fields in Central Park, Saw The Dakota where John Lennon was shot, saw one of the Naked Cowboys, ate the best seafood soup on the planet at Farmer's Rotisserie, met actors from Avenue Q & Book of Mormon and talked puppet shop, checked out Macy's windows, Chinatown, Brooklyn Bridge, Battery Park, Ground Zero, The Federal building, Trinity Church, met Mary Rogers, saw Judith Light hanging out, passed Aaron Carter a time or two, was nearly crushed as Evit was letting out due to folks trying waiting for Ricky Martin to leave through the backstage door, took the Ferry to Staten Island and met Clark & Richard (my two favorite New Yorkers and now a cherished life long memory for their kindness), cried when I saw the Statue of Liberty from the ferry and I have lost track of all my little excursions.

It was quite simply an amazing two weeks. I would love to go back and drag John Owen all over the place and it will be great that one of us would know where we were going! Plus I want to see the UN, the Met, check out the Bronx, spend more time in Central Park

So, if you would like to skim though some of the 400+ pictures I WHITTLED my trip down to for the album, go over to my sidebar and under Linky Dinks - follow the link to my Shutterfly. You want the Yew Nork, Yew Nork! It's a wonderful town! album!

http://owenlandparkproductions.shutterfly.com/

Much love and blessings to you all!
amy

0 comments: