My favorite quote

"I just wanted to tell you that your kids are the ONLY reason I will have kids when I'm older..."
Helen. 7/24/09

Words to live by

If it is to be, it is up to me.

Just call me Mrs. Haskel

Mom & Dad took the girls to Omaha this weekend to visit Jean & Johanna. They went to a kids museum with lots of activities. Oddly enough, it seems the favorite activity was grocery shopping and play acting as the grocery check out girl. (I must be doing something right on the food end of things - look at Connie & Devlyn's carts!)

Mom tells me she thought there was going to be a fight between Connie and another young lady over the fruit. It seems they were both loading up on healthy choices and had to make some negotiations. I also hear that Connie spent a lot of time checking people out at the register. Think I can put her to work yet?

Dad hurt his arm a little while back and fought off a bout of shingles. His arm has been hurting him since then and he doesn't do 'volcano' pose with us at the dinner table. (We adults enforce volcano pose on the kids when they are completely wound up and can't settle down for dinner. This short series of movement and breath helps the kids settle down and get some focus.) If Dad participates he uses his right arm. Wyatt calls it a "Half Cano" and constantly shows me how he can do a "Half Cano just wike Poppie, see?!" He often has a hard time settling down for bed time and sometimes will employ a Cano pose to shift gears. Last night he did multiple Half Cano's to show me how he can calm down all on his own.

Wy has recently taken to telling me how beautiful I am. Constantly. (This is something I am not getting tired of.) He will walk in the kitchen and tell me "Mommy, you are beautiful." We will be eating dinner and he will say "Mommy, you are beautiful." We will be brushing our teeth and he will tell me I'm beautiful. Getting ready for bed? I'm beautiful. He also tells me my earrings are beautiful. My dress is beautiful. My shirt is beautiful. My shoes are beautiful. My hair is beautiful. Devon and Gammie are occasional recipients of the beautiful comments, but the majority of them are reserved for me. I love all the adoration but I am beginning to wonder if I am raising a little Eddie Haskel. The boys and I were in the grocery store on Monday and Wy was on a loop "Mommy, you are beautiful. Mommy, you are beautiful..." I said "Thank you, Eddie." (Something I have taken to saying when he tells me I am beautiful 20 or more times in the span of 5 minutes.) Jack of course jumped on the 'call Wyatt Eddie train', which upset Wy and I had to apologize to everyone for my sarcasm - a word which here means that Mommies need to watch what they say to their children...

0 comments: