My favorite quote

"I just wanted to tell you that your kids are the ONLY reason I will have kids when I'm older..."
Helen. 7/24/09

Words to live by

If it is to be, it is up to me.

My own little flexitarian.

A few months ago Jess anounced "Starting tomorrow, I am going to be a vegetarian." I asked her what kind of vegetarian and she looked at me like I had lost my mind. I then asked if she was going to be a pescatarian, a vegan, a lacto-ovo vegetarian, a macrobiotic vegetarian, or a flexitarian (this is a real term to describe those who eat a mostly vegetarian diet.) Then she asked for explanations of the differences in the diets/rules and I explained the little bit of what I know. She thought for a second and casually said "I'm going to be a vegan." Then she went on line and printed off a list of very specific brand name foods that I was to start supplying her with. Near the top of her list was bacon bits. Did you know that Betty Crocker's Bac-O's Bacon Flavor Bits are vegan? This baffles me.

I told her to go vegan in steps. First eliminate beef or some other category. Then after making that adjustment eliminate something else. I am pretty proud of her. For the most part she has been following a vegetarian diet - though she is a sucker for some chicken fingers...

0 comments: